E-Prescribing via the Surescripts network can benefit your pharmacy through:
- "Cleaner" Prescriptions
- Safer Prescriptions
- Greater Efficiency
Join the nationwide network of pharmacies that accept e-prescriptions.
- "Cleaner" prescriptions requiring less pharmacy resources to process
- Safer prescriptions that protect both patient and pharmacy
- Greater efficiency through technology automation and innovation
- A strong platform that gives pharmacy a lead role in the national push to use HIT
Connect Your Pharmacy to the Surescripts Network
Surescripts does not develop or sell e-prescribing software. Instead, we work with existing vendors to certify their technologies to connect to the Surescripts network. This process ensures that electronic prescribing solutions are able to send and receive supported electronic messages and that the solution is providing open choice for medication selection and dispensing location. Additionally, the process ensures that the technology systems work in accordance with industry-accepted standards for the electronic exchange of prescription data between physicians and pharmacies.
Connecting your pharmacy to the Surescripts network begins with a call to your pharmacy management software vendor. If your pharmacy management system is certified to connect to the Surescripts network, you simply contact your pharmacy software vendor, ask them to enable your e-prescribing functionality, and specify that you want to be connected to the Surescripts network.
Pharmacies should ask their vendor:
- If any patches or upgrades to their system are required.
- If any amendments to their contract are needed to cover transaction fees
- What training is provided to get accustomed to the new or upgraded system
Regarding Transaction Fees:
Your pharmacy will likely pay a set cost per transaction to your pharmacy management technology vendor (not to Surescripts) for each prescription renewal request you send or new prescription you receive over the Surescripts network. Your vendor sets this fee and can provide more detailed information when you call them. Refills attached to a new or renewed prescription do not incur a transaction fee.